The IWMF offers a wide range of support and activities designed to increase the knowledge and skills of medical professionals and to maximize care for WM patients.
IWMF Publications, the Torch newsletter, and IWMF Info Paks
- The IWMF publishes a series of booklets and fact sheets on subject matter that ranges from WM diagnosis to describing patient treatment options. Our publications are available, at no cost, in English and in several other languages. A list of these publications can be viewed and selected for downloading here.
- Our newsletter, the Torch, is published quarterly and covers the latest information on WM, treatments and IWMF research activities. To be notified when a new edition of the Torch is available for you to download, please complete our Membership form.
- The IWMF website is an excellent source of the latest scientific monographs and medical information about WM written by leading WM clinicians and researchers.
- The IWMF has created a comprehensive packet of information (Info Pak) specifically for newly diagnosed patients with WM.
IWMF Directory of WM Physicians
With the assistance of leading hematologist-oncologists worldwide, the IWMF has developed a Directory of WM Physicians who have expertise in treating WM. These experts have agreed to provide consultations to patients and other physicians.
Education: Meetings and NEWS
- The IWMF Educational Forum is an annual two-day event held in various parts of the US, during which pre-eminent WM clinicians and researchers present the latest information on this disease. While this Educational Forum is intended primarily for patients, it does provide much of the basic WM diagnostic and treatment background in a format useful for healthcare professionals who are not knowledgeable about the disease.
- In its commitment to advancing WM-specific research, the IWMF regularly co-sponsors International Workshops on WM for clinicians and researchers. These workshops provide the opportunity for medical professionals from all over the world to share their research findings and to develop collaborative partnerships to further advance what is known about WM. Proceedings of past Workshops and the schedule for the next Workshop can be found here.
- The IWMF publishes on www.iwmf.com the latest NEWS on WM and IWMF research and activities. For convenience. we also will send an email alert with access to our NEWS feed….click here to subscribe.
- Since 2000 the IWMF has co-sponsored the IWWM International Doctor-Patient Forum. This one-day educational meeting occurs bi-annually in different parts of the world following the International Workshop on WM (IWWM) for Physicians/Researchers sponsored by the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. The International Doctor-Patient Forum provides the opportunity for global patients to be updated on the most current WM research and treatment options by leading international WM physicians/researchers who attend the International Workshop on WM. Slides and videos from the 2016 International Doctor – Patient Forum can be found here.
- RESEARCH - The IWMF is one of the main financial supporters of basic research and knowledge advancement on the pathophysiological basis for WM. Through its grant program the IWMF provides funds for basic biomedical research into the origins, clinical manifestations, treatments, and potential future cures for WM. A description of the IWMF’s research strategy can be found here. A list of current grant recipients is here, while past grant recipients can be found here. Information on applying for a grant can be found here.
- YOUNG RESEARCH INVESTIGATORS – The IWMF assists in funding the professional development of young researchers who have an interest in WM, with the hope that they will build on their knowledge and that their work will result in new treatments for WM. In 2014, the IWMF, together with several IWMF affiliates, sponsored and funded four Young Research Investigators to attend the 8th International Workshop on WM in London, England. Again in 2016, the IWMF contributed to the 9th International Workshop on WM in Amsterdam, The Netherlands by funding eleven up-and-coming young researchers to present their award-winning research (oral and poster). Based on availability of funds, the IWMF plans to continue with this initiative.
Resources for Your Patients
The IWMF provides the latest information to people with WM and their loved ones through a comprehensive set of Member Services including education, publications, and other support programs. The following services are helpful resources for your patients and valuable supplements to your current practice:
- The IWMF website (www.iwmf.com)
- Over 60 Support Groups Worldwide
- Booklets and Fact Sheets
- Info Pak for newly diagnosed patients
- Quarterly Newsletter - the Torch
- Annual Educational Forum
- Directory of WM Physicians
- Online Discussion Forum - IWMF Connect
- Clinical Trials
- Financial Assistance
- Support for Caregivers
- Stories of Hope