Apr 13, 2020
The worldwide coronavirus outbreak, declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday, March 11, continues to be of great concern to WM patients and caregivers around the world.
- Lisa Wise, member of the IWMF Board of Trustees and Vice-Chair of Member Services, was featured in the New York Times today. Click here to read about her husband's battle with COVID-19, and their journey together.
- Click here for new questions and essential answers from a Mayo Clinic infectious disease expert – "Coronavirus Disease – What You Should Know About COVID-19."
- Many in-person programs, partner meetings and conferences have been cancelled or rescheduled. Be sure to visit the IWMF Events Calendar by clicking here to learn about current events and new online patient education programs being offered on a variety of topics of interest.
A FEW KEY REMINDERS FROM PREVIOUS IWMF NEWS UPDATES:
- Please join LLS (Leukemia & Lymphoma Society) on April 16 for a special webinar, "Calming Anxiety and Fear: Coronavirus (COVID-19)." Julie Larson, a Psychotherapist and Speaker-Educator, will talk about how patients can care for themselves today: fine-tuning self-awareness; seeking control during times of stress; and other strategies to navigate the road ahead. Register by clicking here.
- If you have questions specific to your personal health situation, please do not hesitate to contact your primary care physician and/or your blood cancer specialist.
- As we all strive to self-impose quarantine measures and social distancing practices, we should remember that the IWMF does provide “virtual” support services, such as the online discussion list (IWMF Connect); Facebook (IWMF Official page and a private closed support group); and the phone/email-based Lifeline, where a fellow WMer is just a phone call or email away. Should you need social or emotional support, feel free to continue to reach out to the IWMF worldwide community and take advantage of these resources. NOTE: IWMF Affiliates in several countries also have country/region-specific Facebook pages and discussion groups – please visit the IWMF International Affiliates web page for further information (see list here).
In this time of global crisis, the IWMF wishes to extend its concern and support to everyone around the world who is affected by the coronavirus outbreak. Our hope continues to be for a speedy and effective resolution.
IWMF Chair of the Board
IWMF President & CEO